Lifestyle and environment have just as much to do with how well we age – maybe even more. And because you can’t control your genes, but you can take control of the way you live, the keys to longevity are in your hands.
1. GET ACTIVE: People who are physically inactive are twice as likely to be at risk for heart disease or stroke. Hence exercise daily for atleast 30 mins.
2. KNOW AND CONTROL CHOLESTEROL LEVELS: High blood cholesterol can lead to the build up of fatty deposits in your arteries – increasing your risk for heart disease and stroke.
3. FOLLOW A HEALTHY DIET: Eating a healthy diet including plenty of fruit and vegetables is one of the most important things you can do to improve your health.
4. KNOW AND CONTROL BLOOD PRESSURE: High blood pressure is often called a ‘silent killer’ because it has no warning signs or symptoms. By knowing and controlling your blood pressure, you can cut your risk of stroke by up to 40 per cent and the risk of heart attack by up to 25 per cent.
5. ACHIEVE AND MAINTAIN A HEALTHY WEIGHT: major risk factors for heart disease and stroke. Being obese can reduce your life span.
6. MANAGE DIABETES: Diabetes increases the risk of high blood pressure, atherosclerosis (narrowing of the arteries), coronary artery disease, and stroke, particularly if your blood sugar levels are poorly controlled.
7. BE TOBACCO FREE: Half of all long-term smokers die early from smoking-related diseases, including heart disease, lung cancer and chronic bronchitis. As soon as you become smoke-free, your risk of heart disease and stroke begins to decrease.
Maintaining a healthy diet is one of the most important factors for living a longer life. Tips:
1) Drink plenty of water.Water is needed to carry out our body functions, remove waste and carry nutrients and oxygen around our body.
2) Get enough sleep. When you don’t rest well, you compensate by eating more.
3) Exercise daily it brings tremendous benefits to our health, including increase of life span, lowering of risk of diseases, higher bone density and weight loss.
4) Have small frequent meals.
5) Include more of fruits and vegetables in diet.
6) Include protein like eggs, lean chicken, fish, curd, etc.
7) Include healthy fats in diet like omega 3 fats like fatty fish, flax seeds, walnuts, olive oil etc.
8) Eat small frequent meals in a day and don’t skip any meal in a day especially the 1st meal of the day ”Breakfast”.
9) Include nuts and low fat dairy products in diet.
10) Choose complex carbs. E.g brown rice, whole wheat products. Avoid all refined products.
11) Get sunlight atleast 10-15 mins in a day. Sunlight, and the vitamin D this can make in the skin.
12) Avoid eating processed, junk and fried food. Also limit the salt intake in diet.
13) Avoid eating sugary foods like pastries, chocolate, cookies, cakes and jelly donuts, etc.
15) Don’t drink alcohol.
16) Quite smoking.
16) Don’t stress. Try yoga.