Don’t worry, you are not the only one to feel the same. Because it’s common to feel hungrier during winters compared to other seasons due to the cold weather as it tends to increase your appetite.
Let’s Not Gain Weight This Winter with These Quick Tips:
1) Drink plenty of water. Water is very necessary if you have to detoxify your body and maintain a healthy weight. Besides water, you can include some warm vegetable soups in your diet instead of drinking aerated drinks and sugary drinks. Also add some spices to it like ginger, garlic. You can also add herb tea or coconut water too.
2) Have small frequent meals and avoid skipping meals, especially the 1st meal of the day i.e. Breakfast.
3) Eat more of fruits and veggies (choose low GI foods) in your diet for fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidant requirements. Don’t forget to eat cruciferous vegetables (e.g.broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage), sweet potatoes, tomatoes, red peppers, and citrus fruits as they contain vitamin C, which boosts your immunity.
4) Choose carbs smartly, go for complex carbs like whole grains, oats, brown rice instead of simple carbs. Eat lean proteins like lean chicken, fish, sprouts, nuts, low-fat yogurts, skimmed milk, and healthy fats like Omega-3 i.e. walnuts, olive oil, fish, flax seeds, etc.
5) Add some spices (e.g. garlic, ginger, cinnamon, turmeric, etc) in your meals while preparing food. It will make your food taste great and help you improve your immune system.
6) Snack wisely. Choose fruits, unsalted nuts, vegetables, seeds, etc.
6) Prefer home-cooked food over ready-made packages. Preferred cooking method – steaming, boiling, baking, grilling.
7) Exercise daily for 30 – 45 minutes which will help you feel more energetic and healthier.
8) Get a daily dose of some sunlight. Try to spend at least some time (10- 15 mins) outdoors in sunlight every day.
9) Get plenty of sleep. Lack of sleep can have a serious effect on your immune system, making you more vulnerable to catching colds.
10) Limit the salt intake in the diet. Instead try adding some herbs like ginger, garlic, lime, etc.
11) Avoid eating processed, fried, and sugary products.
12) Quit smoking and avoid drinking alcohol and caffeinated beverages.
Author: Dr. Prabha Acharya, Co-founder Of Global Homeopathy