Sugar is definitely DELICIOUS. But, eating too much of sugar is one of the worst things you can do to your body. It can have many negative effects on your health. It can lead to obesity, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, tooth decay, etc.
Whereas, some sugar is naturally found in foods like fruits and vegetables, this type has little effect on your blood sugar and is considered very healthy.
Reasons to Eat Less Sugar: decreases your heart attack risk, helps to keep your brain sharp, keep your skin looking young, lower your risk of diabetes, etc. Therefore, try limiting your intake of added sugar.
Tips to cut down on sugar:
- Stay well hydrated. Drink plenty of water.
- Include more of fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains in diet. Making healthy lifestyle choices naturally will help you to cut down on added sugar in your diet.
- Reduce the added sugar to cereal, tea, coffee and other drinks.
- Try other natural sweeteners such as fruit or yogurt on cereal instead.
- When buying any food then read the labels and look for “no added sugar” alternatives.
- Desserts such as ice cream, cakes, etc are loaded with sugar and provide little nutrition. Switch to fresh or baked fruit to reduce your sugar intake and increase your fiber, vitamin and mineral intake.
- Avoid sauces with more of sugar. Choose sugar-free options or use herbs and spices to flavor your food.
- Exercise daily and stay active.
- Avoid drinking sugary drinks that is empty calorie and aerated drinks.
- When hungry avoid going for grocery shopping. Eat healthy snacks and then go. As it will help you to focus on picking healthier food.
- Avoid simple carbs and choose complex carbs in diet like whole grains, brown rice, oats, etc.
- If you need a snack, try swapping over to yogurt, fresh fruit or a small handful of unsalted nuts instead of grabbing a biscuit, cake, chocolate, etc.
- Sleep well. Lack of sleep causes people to favor high-calorie, sweet and salty foods over healthy foods like fruits and vegetables.