Good nutrition is the key to a healthy life. Here are some nutrition tips you need to know if you are trying to get healthy and lead a stress-free life:
- Drink plenty of water. Since we lose water every day through urine, bowel movements, perspiration, and breathing, we need to replenish our water intake.
- Maintain your ideal body weight. Being overweight or obese can lead to health conditions such as type 2 diabetes, certain cancers, heart disease, and stroke. Being underweight could also affect your health.
- Eat small meals. Also never skip any meal in a day especially the 1st meal of the day i.e. breakfast.
- Exercise every day. Choose walking over transport for close distances. Climb the stairs instead of taking the lift. Join some aerobics classes.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables for fiber, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants intake.
- Cut down on processed food. Processed foods are not good because most nutritional value is lost and also the preservatives added are bad for our health.
- Go for complex carbs i.e. brown carbs instead of white carbs. White carbs are refined grains like white rice, pasta, white bread, white flour, etc. Go for brown carbs, like brown rice, whole grain, oats, oatmeal, etc.
- Power up with protein. Choose lean or low-fat cuts means skinless chicken, fish, nuts, low-fat yogurt, sprouts, etc.
- Eat healthy fats too. You need fat to help you absorb certain nutrients, such as fat-soluble vitamins (vitamins A, D, E, and K) and antioxidants (like lycopene, etc). Example: omega-3. Sources: walnuts, olive oil, fish, flax seeds, etc.
- Rather than frying your meal, bake, steam, grill, or boil it.
- Use plenty of herbs and spices. For example, ginger and turmeric both have potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects, leading to various health benefits.
- Get enough sleep. When you don’t rest well, you compensate by eating more. Usually, it’s junk food. Get enough rest and you don’t need to snack to stay awake. Also, lack of sleep causes premature aging, and you wouldn’t want that.
- Get 10-15 mins exposed to sunlight for Vitamin D.
- Improve your posture. Good posture improves your breathing and makes you look smarter and more attractive.
- Avoid your intake of fast food, fries, doughnuts, chips and foods that have been deep-fried.
- Avoid processed, sugary, aerated drinks, and junk food.
- Cut out soda and caffeine. Don’t drink alcohol.
- Limit salt intake.
- Stop smoking.
- Avoid drinking alcohol and alcoholic beverages.
Author: Dr. Prabha Acharya, Co-founder Of Global Homeopathy