Our hearts work beat by beat, second by second for 24 hours a day, never resting. Knowing that it’s one of the most vital organs keeping us alive, it’s important to treat it like the precious commodity it is.
Well, healthy habits make a healthier you. Remember, you hold the power to maintain your health and take care of your body. Make healthy choices and live a lifestyle that helps your heart stay at its best. Tips for healthy heart:
- Maintain a healthy weight. Reduce your weight if overweight or obese.
- Drink plenty of water and stay well hydrated.
- Eat small frequent meals. Avoid skipping any meal and specially the 1st meal of the day i.e breakfast.
- Fuel your heart with healthy food, so make healthy food choices. Choose whole grains over refined products. Choose lean protein like lean chicken, fish, nuts, sprouts etc and low fat dairy products like skimmed milk, low fat yogurt.
- Eat more of fruits and vegetables for fiber, vitamins & minerals intake.
- Eat healthy fats like omega-3 fats i.e. fish, walnuts, olive oil, flax seeds, etc.
- Prefer for cooking method steaming, boiling, grilling and baking. Avoid fried and oily food.
- Sleep well.
- Quite smoking.
- Avoid saturated and trans fats in diet. Eating too many foods that are high in saturated fat can raise the level of cholesterol in your blood. This increases your risk of heart disease.
- Limit the salt intake in diet.
- Avoid drinking alcohol.
- Avoid eating fried food, processed food, junk food, aerated drinks, sugary and salty food.
- Stay active. Your heart is a muscle, and it gets stronger and healthier if you lead an active life. It’s never too late to start exercising, and you don’t have to be an athlete. Even taking a brisk walk for 30-45 minutes a day can make a big difference.
- Avoid taking stress. Try yoga.
- Always check your cholesterol and blood pressure levels and keep them in control.