Lower back pain – We all get it sometimes. But there are things you can do to prevent it from happening too often or from becoming too serious.
Reasons your low back may hurt include:
- Being overweight
- Lifting heavy stuff
- Weight gain during pregnancy
- Poor posture and poor sleeping position may also contribute to low back pain
Tips to beat lower back pain:
- Maintain your ideal body weight. And lose weight if overweight or obese. Obesity contributes to the development of heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, cancer, and low back pain.
- Wear a lumbar belt.
- Keep back straight and maintain a good posture while walking or standing. Sit only for short intervals.
- Ensure that your lower back is supported well with a pillow.
- Sit with your back straight, especially while sitting in the car.
- If you are driving for a long period, try to take pit stops as often as possible. Get out of the car, stretch a bit and walk around.
- Sleep well. Ensure that the mattress is firm enough to support the curvature of your spine.
- Take physiotherapy treatment.
- Apply ice or heat to ease back pain.
- Visit the doctor, if the pain is unbearable for a longer duration.
- Do not bend, jerk and lift anything.
- Do not stand for long periods.
- Do not wear high heeled uncomfortable shoes.
- Avoid drinking alcohol and smoking.
Author: Dr. Prabha Acharya, Co-founder Of Global Homeopathy