Your eyes are an important part of your health. By keeping your eyes healthy, you keep your brain healthy – improving your overall quality of life. There are many things you can do to keep them healthy and make sure you are seeing your best.
Tips for maintaining healthy eyes:
- Wash your hands before touching your eyes.
- Blink your eyes often to keep them well lubricated.
- Drink plenty of water, stay well hydrated and to avoid dry eyes.
- Nourish your eyes with Vitamins and Minerals in your diet E.g. Vitamin A food sources e.g. carrots, spinach. etc, Vitamin C food sources citrus fruits, bell peppers, green leafy vegetables. etc, Vitamin E for antioxidant requirements sources nuts, fortified cereals, sweet potatoes, etc. and Zinc which is found in meat, pumpkin seeds, peanuts. etc. Eat healthy by including more fruits, green leafy vegetables, and whole grains. Eat healthy fats like omega 3 fats in a diet like walnuts, fish, flax seeds, chia seeds, olive oil, etc.
- Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes from rays.
- Exercise regularly. It will improve blood circulation, which improves oxygen levels to the eyes and the removal of toxins.
- Let your eyes rest for some time e.g. take a break in between when using a computer.
- Your eyes can also get into trouble if you are in a habit of skipping sleep regularly. Sleep well at least for 8 hours.
- Women should make sure they are not using old makeup that can contain bacteria or other contaminants. And do not wear eye makeup when facing eye problems.
- Avoid working/ studying in poor lights.
- Don’t watch TV for a longer duration.
- If you use contact lenses then never sleep with contact lenses and always wash your hands before you put your contact lenses in or take them out.
- Avoid frequently touching your eyes and do not rub your eyes.
- Don’t stress.
- Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol.
- Visit an eye doctor, regularly.
Author: Dr. Prabha Acharya, Co-founder Of Global Homeopathy