Winter is here and it’s that time when your immune system is weak. The immune system does a remarkable job of defending you against disease-causing microorganisms. Hence, instead of popping pills, pop good food, herbs, and spices instead of a stronger and healthier immune system.
During the winter months, there are certain vegetables that warm you up and are available in abundance. So, change your diet for these months and enjoy these winter vegetables.
If you’re a vegetarian, you can include healthy winter vegetables in your daily meal to stay fit during climate change and people who like non-veg food can, of course, fulfill their quota of nutrients by consuming eggs and fish along with regular meals.
13 quick tips to increase your immunity this winter:
- You are what you eat. Eat a diet rich in minerals, fiber, vitamins, and antioxidants; hence include more of fruits and vegetables like citrus fruits, pomegranate, apple, cabbage, broccoli, spinach, etc in your diet. Choose complex carbs like whole grains, oats, brown rice, etc. Go for lean proteins like sprouts, lean chicken, fish, nuts, low-fat yogurt, skimmed milk, etc. and healthy fats like omega-3 i.e. flax seeds, olive oil, walnuts, etc. Avoid all refined, sugary, processed and oily food.
- Don’t forget to drink plenty of water, stay hydrated even during cold days. Can also add on some soups – add garlic and ginger to it, herbal tea, coconut water, buttermilk in your diet.
- Eat Vitamin C rich food i.e. oranges, kiwi, papaya, lime, bell peppers, etc. Also, add some berries to your diet.
- Include zinc and iron-rich food in your diet, zinc sources are lean poultry, spinach, seafood, milk, whole grain products, nuts, etc. and iron-rich sources are dark green leafy vegetables, legumes, etc. Also, try to add some mushrooms in your diet as they are rich in selenium and Vitamin D.
- Eat some probiotics, as it is an important part of a healthy digestive process and also for our immune system. Sources: fermented food sources, like yogurt, kimchi, etc.
- Exercise every day which will help you to build immunity. Exercise like jogging, swimming, yoga, aerobics, etc is great for winters.
- Get adequate sleep. Lack of sleep/ irregular sleeping does decrease your immunity level.
- Don’t stress. Try yoga.
- Laugh it out, it does help your immune system. Hence, stay positive and happy.
- Get some sunlight. Vitamin D is good for immunity and sunlight is one of the most easily available sources of Vitamin D; so stay in sunlight at least for 10-15 minutes every day. But do apply sunscreen to protect your skin while stepping out!
- Spice up your food. When preparing meals do add garlic, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, methi seeds, etc.
- Keep good hygiene. Wash your hands frequently.
- Quit bad habits like smoking, drinking aerated drinks and alcoholic beverages.Stay Healthy, Stay Warm! Happy Winters!
Author: Dr. Prabha Acharya, Co-founder Of Global Homeopathy