Menopause is a natural transition in a woman’s life as her menstrual cycles come to an end.
During this transition period women experience symptoms like hot flashes, affects metabolism, fluctuating emotions, dry skin, weight gain, difficulty sleeping, etc are very much common.
List of foods which may help relieve some symptoms of menopause:
- Drink plenty of water and stay hydrated to avoid dry skin, dehydration, etc.
- Eat small frequent meals and don’t skip any meal. Also maintain healthy weight to avoid any health issues.
- Get enough fiber from fruits, green vegetables and complex carbs like whole grains, brown rice, oats, etc.
- Have dairy products as they are great for menopause diet as they contain calcium, Vitamin D, and protein and can help improve sleep quality. Also add some fortified cereals, mushrooms, fish for Vitamin D.
- Include lean protein in diet. Sources are eggs, fish, nuts, legumes and low fat dairy products, lean chicken, etc. Preferred method for cooking – boiling, steaming, grilling and baking.
- Include healthy fats, such as omega-3 fatty acids. Sources are fatty fish, walnuts, flax seeds, olive oil, etc.
- Eat foods rich in phytoestrogens e.g. soybeans and soy products like soy-milk and soya flour, chickpeas, tofu, flax seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, beans, etc. It will help to balance the hormones and reduce hot flashes.
- Limit the salt intake in diet, avoid spicy food, avoid processed/ fried/ sugary and junk food, quite smoking, avoid alcohol and caffeine beverages.
Also, try to exercise daily it will help to cope with symptoms such as poor sleep, anxiety, depression, etc. These simple changes to your diet may make this important transition in your life easier.
Author: Bhavesh Acharya, Co-founder Of Global Homeopathy